10 Easy Exercises You Can Do At Your Office Cubicle
Finding time for exercise is a challenge during the workweek, especially during the hectic weeks leading up to the New Year. After a long day at the office, shopping and unbelievable traffic delays leave us tired and uninterested in hitting the gym after work. The weather is cold and the light hours are limited. Most office workers feel tied to their office desks, fearing their movement will make them miss an important email or phone call. The facts about prolonged sitting, however, are clear: sitting increases risks for obesity and heart disease and causes back pain, leg cramps, and poor posture. Protect your health—get moving during your workday with these 10 easy exercises you can do at your office cubicle.
- Leg Extensions: Want to tone your legs? Try this exercise. Sit down and extend your right leg to hip level. Hold your leg out for as long as possible, and then relax. Repeat this method using the other leg.
- Bicep Push: Place both hands on your chair arms and slowly lift your bottom off the chair. Lower yourself back down but stop short of the seat, hold a few seconds.
- Desk Push: Place your hands on the desk and hang on. Slowly push your chair back until you head is between your arms look at the floor. Then slowly pull yourself back in.
- Sky Stretch: Sit tall in your chair. Stretch both arms high over your head and reach for the sky. After 10 seconds, extend the right hand higher and then alternate to your left side extending your left hand to the sky.
- Neck Roll: Let your head roll to the right until your ear nearly touches your shoulder. Using your hand, gently press your head a little lower. Hold for 10 seconds, relax and repeat on the other side.
- Calf Raises: For well-defined calves, raise your heels a few inches off the ground. Hold this position, and then slowly lower your heels back down. Increase speed and tap your feet in place simulating a run.
- Water Bottle Weight: Using a full water bottle, do front raisers, overhead presses and bicep curls.
- Abdominal Curls: Release tension and reduce back pain with this move. Sit on the edge of your chair and stretch your arms out in front of you. While keeping your back straight, contract your abdominal muscles. Relax and repeat.
- Side Twist: Sit facing forward and turn your head slowly to the left and your torso to the right and hold a few seconds. Repeat 15 times, alternating sides.
- Chair Dips: Build your triceps with this effective workout. Sit on the edge of your chair with your legs out in front of you. Lower yourself down and back up again. Start with 6 to 8 reps, or challenge yourself with more as your arms become stronger.
Make a resolution to commit to a healthier 2016 by simply incorporating these 10 easy office cubicle exercises. It only takes 15 minutes a day, your body with thank you!